Schedule/Registration • Faculty Bios • Critiques • Portfolio Showcase • Conference Assignments • FAQ
To get the most out of your conference experience we encourage you to participate in all the day’s assignments. However, participation in these activities is purely voluntary and not necessary to attend the conference.
Character Design with Vanessa Brantley Newton
• Bring a character you’ve been working on and get ready to revamp them or come prepared to create a fun new character.
• Bring your sketchbook or drawing paper
• Bring your favorite portable drawing supplies
• Be prepared to share with others and receive feedback.
First Look Slide Show Critiques
This year for our “First Look” panel, Art Director Jim Hoover (Viking Children’s Books), and Illustrators Vanessa Brantley Newton and Brooke Smart will be critiquing YOUR illustration on a live panel at the Utah/Southern Idaho Illustrator’s Conference. Submission guidelines:
Your Illustration: You can choose to illustrate a middle grade novel cover or a full picture book illustration (specifics below).
Illustration specifics (choose 1):
• For a middle grade novel cover: Illustrate a cover for a classic story (fairy tale, folk tale, classic novel). You can interpret the story however you want. Make sure it is age appropriate for the audience (8-12 years old). Leave space for the title and author’s name.
• Dimensions for a middle grade novel cover: 5 1/2 x 8 inches (must be vertical orientation). Please send the file at 963 x 1400 pixels at 72 dpi.
• For a full page picture book interior illustration: Illustrate a full bleed illustration for a picture book interior. Illustrate a classic story (fairy tale, folk tale, classic novel). You can interpret the story however you want. Make sure it is age appropriate for the audience (3-8 years old). Leave space for some text somewhere in the illustration.
• Dimensions for a full page picture book interior illustration: 11 x 9 inches (can be vertical or horizontal orientation). Please send the file at 1400 x 1145 pixels at 72 dpi.
File format: JPEG
File name: lastname_firstname.jpeg
Email to: Shawna Tenney at shawna(dot)tenney(at)gmail(dot)com.
Email subject line: First Look 2020
Due date: Turn in your illustration no later than midnight on Saturday February 29, 2o2o. Entries turned in later will not be accepted. We are only accepting the first 20 Entries. So hurry and get your illustration turned in. This is a popular event!
Cost: Free for registered Conference Attendees.
Questions? Email Shawna with any questions you might have about your “First Look” illustration entry.